Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Random Blaster Box- 2008 Topps Baseball

This time of year is the best for sports enthusiast. Baseball has just finished the regular season and the playoffs are set to begin, the NFL is in full swing and the NBA just kicked off it’s pre-season today.

I decided to go with my final baseball blaster box, a box of lime green 2008 Topps Baseball Series 2. The 2008 Topps are by no means even in my top sets of the year, I don’t know but the bubble/dots across the top of the cards just bother me for some reason. The design is solid but that lettering seems to ruin it.

I can say that pulling a Griffey made the box worth it for me if I didn’t pull anything else. I find it interesting that I pulled a Homer Bailey card, which in itself is not a big deal, but how much does it suck to be named Homer as a pitcher? A solid hitter with that name would be cool, but you don’t want to be serving them up as a pitcher (To note, he has given up 34 homers in a 56 game career, he is 16-16 lifetime with a 5.09 ERA and 232 Ks in 304.0 innings).


Next up is the double dose of awesomeness from the Topps Stars insert, Jeter and Pujols. I actually like the cards, the gold foiling and stars in the background accent the hitters quite well and to be honest these are definitely two awesome hitters. I know that Jeter had a down year this year but even when he has a down year he often turns it around in the Post Season.


Mickey Mantle, nothing more needs to be said.


As a history buff I love these campaign cards, I know a lot of people are not keen on non-sports cards in a baseball set but this insert seems to fit considering that 2008 was an election year. Madison went on to win the election of 1812 and DeWitt Clinton and the Federalist Party went on to obscurity in the archives of American history. I also pulled a Bush/Kerry 2004 election campaign card.

I closed off the box with jersey swatch… or more specifically an “Authentic Game-Worn Uniform” piece from Scott Kazmir during his time with the Rays. I find myself still wanting to call them the Devil Rays for some reason.

1 comment:

  1. I missed out buying more than one of these blasters when Walmart had them marked down on their blaster endcap. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete