Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Art Gallery: 2007 Topps Lord Of The Rings Masterpieces II Gandalf





I finally decided on a name for my sketch card piece, The Art Gallery. I figured that would cover everything from sketch cards to ACEO cards and anything in between. What better way to start my new Art Gallery serial than with my most recent pick up.

The first sketch card I am covering comes from the 2007 Topps Lord of the Rings Masterpieces II release. The release itself was a continuation of the LOTR Masterpieces release which had come out a year earlier. The two sets are based on Peter Jackson’s LOTR trilogy, which in turn was based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s books.

There is no denying that the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as the current Hobbit trilogy, are among the most influential movies of the modern generation while the stories themselves have been a part of popular culture for 60 years, since Tolkien’s first book in 1954.

When it comes to LotR/Hobbit series the most recognizable character, and easily my favorite, is Gandalf. I wanted a Gandalf sketch card but many of his cards are outside of the price range that I am willing to spend until this beauty showed up for a couple of dollars. It may not be the most detailed but it is obvious who the character is on the card.

One thing that drew me to the Masterpieces II sketch cards is the card design itself, the cards are pretty lightweight when compared to other sketch cards but I love the sandy/tan coloring and the border detail. These are a perfect representation of the storyline and makes me think of the maps of Middle Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment