Tuesday, May 20, 2014

NBA Draft Lottery Time

I wrote this post before the Lottery selection process began so I didn't know how it played out. We now know the Cavaliers paid someone off to take the top pick after last years Anthony Bennett debacle. I don't think it is very fair to win the #1 position two years in a row let alone 3 out of the last 4 years. 



The NBA Draft Lottery is tonight and I had planned on doing something highlighting NBA cards but looking through my binder I realized that besides a couple of blasters of 2013-14 Pinnacle Basketball I have not bought a pack of NBA cards in years and it has been longer than that since I bought any singles, outside of Steve Kerr cards and some other University of Arizona guys.
 
I do watch some basketball and I was proud, and surprised, of the Suns this year. They had a successful failure of a season, actually coming within just a game of making the #8 spot in the West. If they were in the East they would have been the #3 seed but instead they are a Lottery team, which is a positive because they can only get better.
 
This year is looking like a strong class and depending on who you talk to the #1 pick is not a certainty with Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins most likely the top pick. After those two the top 10 include guys like Joel Embiid, Julius Randle, Dante Exum and Aaron Gordon (a U. of Arizona player).  But we will have to wait until the June draft to see how that plays out.

To add some cards to the post I am adding some of my favorite finds from over the years that now grace my basketball binder.

1988-89 Fleer Michael Jordan: I won this in a pack war when I first returned to collecting in the early 1990s, this is the card that led to the name of my blog. This is my oldest Michael Jordan card.

 1995-96 Fleer Metal Maximum Metal Jordan: The Maximum Metal die-cuts are pretty cool, this is probably my favorite Jordan insert.
 
 
 1998-99 Skybox Soul of the Game Allen Iverson: I don't know why but I have always liked AI even though he is full of attitude. I love this card, I think it would be better as a die-cut
 
 
 2005-06 Press Pass Lute Olson Autograph: What University of Arizona collection is complete with out the legendary Lute Olson?


2013-14 Pinnacle Clear Vision Larry Bird: I like the Clear Vision cards, they are quite cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment