Friday, March 17, 2017

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Growing up in an Irish family has always been fun, outside of the corn beef and cabbage, and I still remember my grandfather's brogue as he told me about his youth and some day I hope to take a trip to Ireland to meet my extended family. Today the world is Irish and in honor of the Irish Republic and St. Patrick's Day here is a selection of cards designed with the Irish in mind.

One of the first thoughts about Ireland is of Leprechauns. I do not own the 2014 Goodwin 3D Monsters Leprechaun card on the left, not yet anyway, and the 2015 A&G is in my COMC account.

In 2015 and 2016 Panini included St. Patrick's Day relic cards in National Treasures. The cards contain relics that were worn by the player's during St Patrick's Day spring training games. There are no Mariners in the set so I have not paid any attention to the cards, even though they do look cool I do not own any of the cards.

This will probably surprise a lot of people but there are actually three Irish born wrestlers in WWE and they are all stars. Sheamus, Becky Lynch and Fergal Devitt (who wrestles as Finn Balor) have all held a major WWE Championship at one point during the past year. These cards are from Topps WWE Slam app, I haven't logged on to any of the Topps or Panini apps in months. I lose interest pretty quick.



Robbie Keane is one of the greatest footballers to have come out of the Emerald Isles. He began his professional career in 1997 and has been on the Irish National Team since 1998. This card is from Panini's 2016 Prizm UEFA Euro release.

This card, which is the only card I actually have in hand, is a prop card from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The fabric is from the Irish flag seen during the Quidditch World Cup scenes.

2 comments: