Thursday, March 9, 2017

Some 3D Supernatural Beings

For the last couple of years Upper Deck has included 3D lenticular cards in their Goodwin Champions releases, in 2016 it was Supernatural beings. The Supernatural checklist includes gods, goddesses, prophets and mythical creatures and is broken up in to 6 different tiers based on region. With Tier 1 (Americas/Pacific) being the easiest pull at 1:84 packs and Tier 6 (Ancient Greece) being the most difficult pull at 1:2,901 packs.
I am a Buddhist and was excited to see that Buddha was included in Tier 3 (Asia) along with Buddhist goddess, Benzaiten, as well as Sun WuKong, the Monkey King, who is a mythical creature included in various parts of Asia, including in Buddhism. I picked up the Buddha and Benzaiten cards late last year and when I am able to afford cards again I will eventually be watching for the Sun WuKong card at a reasonable price.

4 comments:

  1. I would think it'd be tough to be a Buddhist who is a collector. Isn't a big part of that way of thinking to resist attachment.. to have little or no personal possessions and the like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct that it is better to resist attachment than being controlled by possessions. I build my collection but do not put it above all else and I find goodness and happiness in my collection.

      Delete
  2. These are awesome. Buddha rules... and so are geishas. I'll be tracking down both of these eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your philosophy. The cards a bit too "cartoony" for me.

    ReplyDelete