Monday, November 6, 2017

Monday Question Day- Oddities?


Today is question day:

What are the oddest cards in your collection? If you collect sports and non-sports what are the oddest cards in each collection?

This is one of those questions that gets the mind grinding. What is considered odd must be determined so this may be a bit more difficult. For myself I decided to limit my own selection to modern era official releases. There are so many oddball and Broder cards that many of them can seem extremely weird in comparison to an official card.

On the sports side, I would say my 2011 Topps Chrome Geoffrey the Giraffe #TRU card.

I worked at Toys R Us for over a decade working my way up from stocking shelves to Store Director. When I left I always promised I would never go back and wanted nothing to do with the company, retail at any company is horrible. But by the time this card came around in 2011 I was feeling a bit nostalgic and picked it up.

On the non-sports side, I went with my 2015 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Goudey Sid Meier Premium Floppy Disc relic. There are not many floppy disc relic cards out there, I only know of this one and Steve Wozniak has two different floppy disc relic cards in the 2012 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions release.

7 comments:

  1. I would say those both definitely qualify as odd and definitely in a cool, endearing way. Was that Geoffrey some kind of in-store promo? I've never seen or heard of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were included in packs of 2011 Topps Opening Day and 2011 Topps Chrome at Toys R Us stores. The Opening Day cards are standard Opening Day type cards and have one of five team logos (Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs and Giants) and colors while the Chrome ones are standard Chrome cards but the logo is the MLB logo. Mine is the Chrome version.

      Delete
  2. The Geoffrey card is kind of cool.
    I don't have much oddity in my collection. When something doesn't fit I find another owner for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I could come up with some sort of oddest oddball cards from sports and non-sports. Might have to think on it some... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first card that popped into my head was an autograph of Alan aka The Rip Master. Who's that? Back in the day he hosted a show (I think I watched on Youtube) called Topps TV. He'd review new products and have hot girls (known as the Rip Girls) open packs. Not sure why Topps thought collectors would want these cards, but ironically I ended up building the entire five card autograph set. It's one of the oddest sets in the collection.

    http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2012/08/chronicles-of-cardfoolery-4-rip-master.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha. I have the same exact TRU history; worked my way to the top for 10 years and ditched it. I still wake up some November nights in cold sweats after a nightmare of double truck overnights or black Fridays.

    ReplyDelete